Monday, November 5, 2012

 I sat  there completely unsuspecting in  Young womens.  Little did I know there was a conversation awaiting me.  One that would invite me to face one of my greatest fears.

A knock on the door,  opening it I see The ward clerk,  never would I have suspected it to be for me.

A quick smile and glance away, no he is still there, I ask are you looking for someone?  A smile and yes the Bishop would like to see you.  Thats it my heart started to race, a new calling, being released, temple prep,  what.   No he would like you to give a talk,

I swear I was going to throw up right then and there!!

I havent given a talk since primary.  What were they thinking!! They must have the wrong person, they have no Idea what a mistake this is.  I will talk to fast like  a rabbit on speed, what if my face is so red, what if I stumble or freeze.  What if the unthinkable, unspeakable horror happens.....what if I start to.......CRY!!


Now for those of you who dont know for me to stand up in public and speak, let alone in front of people I dont really know, who are so much smarter, spiritual, confident that me.  Is the ultiamte fear, I can't talk infront of people, I'm not smart enough, knowledgeable enough,  my face goes red, I want to throw up, my heart tries to fly out of my chest.  I feel paralyzed!

  That left me with the same feeling of standing 25 feet in the air, no way back only forward on these waving ropes to the next platform.  I cant do this I scream in my head ready to cry, pass out or throw up.  What if I fall, what if I fail,  Im not good enough.  I am too scared!






But like Mike whispering behind be on that platform you can do this, you are brave enough, good enough,  I love you and Im right here.  Reminded that I am tethered to a support, safety line,  I can do it.  And even if I cant even if I stumble or cry he still loves me. and believes in me.  This gives me the strength and courage I need to move forward out in to a vast nothingness.  And yet I do it I grab that rope and carry myself rope to rope across to the next platform.  A what a feeling of accomplishment.  Maybe just maybe I can do this.

Like the support, safety line in that park, I realize I have my own built in support, safety line, A loving Heavenly Father.  I have my Heavenly Father there whispering in my ear, I am here, I can help you, You ARE enough, all you have to do is ask.

I left church with butterflies knowing I had till that evening to call the Bishop and give my answer.

Going home, I fall to my knees, asking for help, guidence, maybe an answer of you don't have to do it.  Instead , tears filled my eyes and I knew I could do it, I knew there was someone who needs to hear what I have to say, that maybe I can make a difference.  After I got up from my knees, I knew that with the help of my heavenly father, the support of my husband, the help and support of loving parents, I can do this.

As I was lying in bed after prayers, scripture study and reading over talks,  with Mike sleeping beside me.  Words start to come to my mind, a flick of the switch and I start to jot them down, and so it begins.

Am I still scared oh more than anyone will ever know.  Do I feel inadequate, yes.  I still feel like crying, screaming or just possibly throwing up.  But I will do this.  I can do this.  In this maybe just maybe I am enough.


If I can make a difference in one persons life, testimony or spirit.  Then I am content........



4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of your courage! YES! He will help you shine your brightest! Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,you are such a BEAUTIFUL person. I am ever so grateful for you in my life. You will do wonderfully. I will pray for your nerves. You will do GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome entry, Katie. You're faith and strength are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome entry, Katie. You're faith and strength are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete