Monday, March 26, 2012

Time away

Upper Little Quallicum Falls
Mike and I were able to run away for our anniversary weekend.  What fun, full of laughter weekend we had!!  How luck I am to be married to my best friend! Who makes me laugh daily, loves my crazy silliness and joins right in :D
Now for us going and staying in a hotel and filling our evenings and days with busy activities and people well that just isnt us.  
I had spent the day with a dear dear friend after dropping the kids off at Grammy and Grandpa's.  Now mind you  was supposed to have picked up the truck and camper from Mikes work so that I could go shopping and load everything in.......hee hee well me being me I got to busy chatting with Jen and didnt even get home till after Mike oops.  Good thing he just laughs :D

Everything loaded and off we go.  Oops forgot to go food shopping, Let me tell you do NOT go shopping when Mike is hungry lol.  Ended up out for a late late supper at 9pm.  I love that we never run out of things to talk about, laugh about, and that when there are silences they are comfortable!  I love that we aren't stuck in a rut that I see other couples in of nothing but kids, work, house stuff to talk about!!

After dinner we headed up island I wanted to go north this time!!  
We ended up in Little Quallicum falls.  WHat a beautiful place!!  I love having my camper!! We just pulled into one of the dirt parking lots and camped for the night.  Isnt it funny at home I can sleep in but  we were up by 8 am and out for a hike.....on a SATURDAY of all days :P  

How blessed we are to live in such an amazing place!! I am always so humbled by all our Heavenly Father has created for us!!


My best friend!








Mike and the Dogs
Standing on the Bridge.


After a wonderful leisurely morning.  Off we went up up up.  
We headed to Strathcona Park and decided us being us we would explore some of the logging roads :D We came across a tree hanging over the road just low enough that we couldnt get through with the camper on the truck, but does that stop Mike........lol NO!  
Happy he gets to use the chain saw and cut things down
See ya later tree..

  I must say while he was busy cutting it down and moving it off the road this popped into my head : " Cant go over, cant go under it  , cant go under it.....guess we'll go through it!! LOL so Mike :D 

After taking care of that little obstacle off we went up and up and up.  It was beautiful!!!  



The sun was beautiful and it was so warm!! We let the dogs run for a bit and just enjoyed the view.  Thinking it was about time to get some fishing in and find somewhere to camp.  As we he Down we went again into Courtney.
After talking to a gentleman at a Bait shop in Courtney ( fabulous people!).  We decided on Wolf Lake at the south end of Strathcona Park.  

What a beautiful lake!!  That night we went out and stood on the tail gate, you could see Mount Washington's ski hill glowing, the stars we incredible!!! My camera couldn't even catch the beauty of it!! What an amazing place!!

The view in the morning....takes your breath away! 

What a wonderful morning we had!!

On the way back down Island we spur of the moment we decided we wanted to go to Horne Lake to go explore the caves.  Neither of us had been in a real cave.  Sooooo excited!!!!  

What a gorgeous place!!  Thank heavens I had my hiking boots!!  Little did I realize that their was a long suspension bridge that needed to be crossed..... Now I have a horrible paralizing fear of heights and I HATE (yes that is a strong word but so apt!) suspension bridges, I am petrified they are going to break.  
But there was no way I was going to miss out on this oppertunity, experience and time with Mike.  Soooo........I did it!!! Yeayy me!! 

There are a few different options with these caves, guided tours (which were still closed), and self guided ( but only 2 caves).

So following the signs we headed up what we thought was the self guided tunnles..........up up up and a million ( on so it felt) switch backs, we get to marker 5 and hmmmmmmm still no caves, so we push on .Marker #6 there is a cave but oh lo and behold it is gated we some how made it to one of the guided caves heehehe

Back down down down we go.
Finally we make it to one of the self guided ones.  Was I a bit nervous ummmmm yes yes I was but oh so excited!!! Here are some pictures :D The cave is 136 meters.





The little waterfall.  It goes wayyyy up though

Above our heads in one part

Part of the cave

Mike at the very top!! It was high up I had to zoom way in with my camera!

Part way up the waterfall we found

More cool looking rocks. 

we came from there!! Crazy!!
Mike and I down in the tunnels 


The rocks varied from looking like big globs of melting ice cream to sharp jagged rocks.
Further back in the cave there was noooo way I was going to try and squeeze in smaller and smaller spaces!

Coming out of the cave

What an amazing experience!!  I would totally do it again!! I cant wait to go back and try the others.  THe only time I got a bit freaked out and claustophobic was when we turned off the flash lights! Now that is complete and utter darkness!!

I must say I wasnt ready to leave at all!!!

On the way back there was the suspension bridge hmm it hadnt turned into a nice solid bridge for me while we were gone.  But I did it!! AND I even skipped, jumped and made it move!!  This is huge!! LOL!!!

To top it off we went on a wonderful walk down to the river with the dogs!!

What a wonderful weekend!! Nothing could have made it more perfect!!
I love that I married my best friend, that we have so much fun together, can talk about anything, be silly with one another!!
Happy 13 year wedding anniversary Mike!! I love you more and more every day!! xox


3 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! Cool caves too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are awesome caves!! I so want to go there with my family when we come out. You will have to tell us how to get there, and knowing you guys, maybe find us a 4X4 or, we could hike in...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of you two in the cave! Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete